Bonchida was a significant place from the 12th century as a royal possession, belonged to the neighbouring counties' royal salt mines.
It became inhabited again in the 13th century, after the Mongols' invasion.
The history of Bonchida links with the Bánffy family from the end of the 14th century, when King Zsigmond donated Bonchida with the localities belonging to it, to the son of Tamás named Dénes in 1387. After on, the Bánffy family possess Bonchida over centuries.
The construction of the castle started possibly after the Budai Nagy Antal revolt in 1437 by Bánffy Miklós.
The baroque style reconstruction is from 1748-53.
The castle was set on fire and burned down in 1944, during 2nd world war. All furnishings and values were taken away.
In the last years conservation and reconstruction has been started .
From: Kiss Gábor: Erdélyi várak, várkastélyok (Panoráma, 1987)
The once single nave church was built in the 12th century with a semi-circular sanctuary, which was demolished in the second part of the 13th century, when enlarged, the church got the new nave and the straight ending sanctuary.
The walled up southern gate and the two semicircular windows belonged originally to the first, 12th century church.
From: Entz Géza: Erdély építészete a 11-13. században (Erdélyi Múzeum-Egyesület, 1994)
The last owner of the castle was count Bánffy Miklós.